Second West Virginian Guardsman In Critical Condition As Federal Prosecutors Plan To Formally Charge Suspect
Friday, November 28, 2025, 6:00 A.M. ET. 4 Minute Read, By Jennifer Hodges, Political Editor: Englebrook Independent News,
WASHINGTON, DC.- Twenty-year-old West Virginia National Guard officer Sarah Beckstrom, of Webster Springs, died late Thursday afternoon, November 27, 2025, after succumbing to devastating injuries sustained in a targeted ambush near the White House one day earlier. Beckstrom and her fellow officer, Andrew Wolfe, 24, also of West Virginia, were attacked shortly after 2:15 p.m. on Wednesday, November 26, 2025, while on routine security patrol in downtown Washington, D.C.
Federal investigators say the shooter, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, 29, an Afghan national who entered the United States under Humanitarian Parole through Operation Allies Welcome in September 2021, traveled approximately 3,000 miles from Bellingham, Washington, to Washington, D.C., where he launched what authorities are calling an act of terrorism against uniformed National Guard personnel. Lakanwal lived in Bellingham with his wife and five children.
Armed with a .357 Magnum revolver, Lakanwal allegedly approached the two Guardsmen and opened fire at close range. Beckstrom was struck multiple times, suffering catastrophic injuries. Wolfe was critically wounded. Immediate aid from nearby security personnel stabilized both victims long enough for emergency transport, but despite intensive surgical intervention, Beckstrom died approximately 24 hours after the attack at George Washington University Hospital.
Wolfe remains hospitalized in critical condition, fighting for his life following multiple surgeries.
Lakanwal was shot by a responding National Guard officer moments after the ambush. He was taken into custody and transported to a secured D.C.-area hospital, where he remains in custody, under federal guard.
Federal Prosecutors Will Now Expand Charges To Include Murder Amid Terrorism Investigation;
U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro confirmed on Thursday that Lakanwal would be initially charged with three counts of Assault With Intent to Kill While Armed and Possession of a Firearm During a Crime of Violence, and will now face additional charges following the death of Officer Beckstrom.
“These were deliberate, unprovoked attacks targeting members of the National Guard performing lawful security duties in our nation’s capital,” Pirro said. “With the tragic passing of Officer Beckstrom, the charges will reflect the full severity of this act of terrorism.”
Federal counterterrorism officials are reviewing Lakanwal’s travel history, communications, social media activity, and potential ideological motivations. Investigators say his week-long journey across the country appears to have been planned, although FBI Director Kash Patel said that Lakanwal was in contact with others in Afghanistan, they are still working to determine whether he acted alone or had any outside influence in carrying out the attack.
West Virginia Mourns The Loss Of A Young Patriot;
Leaders across West Virginia expressed shock and deep sorrow at the killing of Beckstrom, who enlisted in the West Virginia National Guard shortly after turning 18. Known for her discipline, humility, and commitment to service, she had been assigned to a federal security rotation assisting agencies near Lafayette Square and Farragut Station.
Governor’s Office officials issued a statement extending “unwavering support to the Beckstrom family and prayers for the recovery of Guardsman Wolfe,” calling the attack “an unconscionable act of violence against two of West Virginia’s finest.”
Local officials in Webster Springs have planned candlelight vigils and community gatherings in honor of Beckstrom. Flags in multiple West Virginia counties and several federal installations in Washington, D.C., were lowered to half-staff Thursday evening.
Wolfe, a four-year Guardsman with advanced training credentials, continues to receive intensive care, with doctors cautioning that the next 48 hours will be critical.
Federal Agencies Coordinate National Response;
Federal authorities expect to provide additional updates in the coming days as they assess whether the attack represents a broader threat tied to individuals admitted through the Operation Allies Welcome program. More than 76,000 Afghans entered the United States under the 2021 emergency evacuation authorization known as Humanitarian Parole, a status distinct from asylum or permanent residency. Although some sources have reported that Lakanwal was granted asylum by the Trump Administration in April 2025, we have not been able to confirm this.
Officials emphasized that the vast majority of Afghan parolees have integrated lawfully and peacefully; however, this incident has renewed congressional scrutiny of background vetting procedures initiated during the Biden administration’s rapid 2021 evacuation.
Editor’s Note:
This article incorporates verified information from federal law enforcement agencies, the U.S. Attorney’s Office, West Virginia state officials, FBI Director Kash Patel, and preliminary incident reports available as of November 28, 2025. Immigration status details reflect official federal documentation regarding Humanitarian Parole granted under Operation Allies Welcome in September 2021. Attribution is based on public statements delivered by U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro and briefings from federal investigative agencies and National Guard representatives. Englebrook Independent News will update this developing story as new verified details emerge.
