Eight Confirmed Dead, One Still Missing After Deadly Sierra Nevada Backcountry Slide
Thursday, February 19, 2026, 8:00 A.M. ET. 3 Minute Read, By Jennifer Hodges, Political Editor: Englebrook Independent News,
NEVADA CITY, CA.- An intense winter storm in California’s Sierra Nevada mountains turned deadly this week when a massive avalanche struck a guided backcountry ski group near Castle Peak, leaving eight people confirmed dead and one still missing as of Wednesday evening. Officials said the ninth person is presumed dead, with recovery efforts underway in extremely hazardous conditions.
Avalanche Strikes During Severe Storm;
The avalanche occurred on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, at approximately 11:30 a.m. Pacific Time, near Castle Peak, a 9,110-foot summit located within the Tahoe National Forest, northwest of Donner Summit and roughly ten miles north of Lake Tahoe.
According to authorities, the incident involved a group of 15 backcountry skiers, including four professional guides and 11 clients, who were returning to the trailhead at the conclusion of a three-day guided backcountry excursion when the avalanche released and swept through their route.
The region was under high avalanche danger warnings issued earlier that morning by the Sierra Avalanche Center. Heavy snowfall, sustained high winds, and rapid snowpack loading combined to create unstable slab conditions throughout the Sierra backcountry.
Search, Rescue, And Recovery Operations;
Emergency response teams, including Nevada County Search and Rescue, state agencies, and volunteer rescue units, were deployed shortly after the avalanche was reported. Operations were immediately complicated by whiteout conditions, deep snow accumulation, and the continued threat of secondary avalanches.
By Wednesday evening, Nevada County Sheriff Shannan Moon confirmed during a briefing that eight victims had been recovered and pronounced deceased, while one individual remained unaccounted for. Sheriff Moon stated that due to worsening weather and continued avalanche risk, the mission had formally transitioned from rescue to recovery.
Survivors And Injuries;
Of the 15 people in the original group, six survived the avalanche. Officials said survivors used emergency communication devices, including avalanche transceivers and satellite messaging, to alert authorities and assist rescuers in locating victims.
Two of the survivors were transported to a nearby hospital and treated for non-life-threatening injuries, while others were treated on scene for exposure and minor trauma.
Impact On The Local Ski Community;
Several of the victims are believed to have deep ties to the Donner Summit and Sugar Bowl skiing communities. Sugar Bowl Academy, a regional ski and snowboard training institution, acknowledged that members of its extended community were among those affected, underscoring the tragedy’s profound impact on Northern California’s alpine sports community.
Authorities have not released the names of the deceased, citing the need to complete family notifications and respect the privacy of grieving relatives.
Historic Scope And Ongoing Investigation;
Avalanche experts and state officials have described the incident as one of the deadliest avalanches in U.S. history, and among the most fatal recorded in California in several decades.
Investigators are now reviewing the circumstances surrounding the trip, including weather advisories, avalanche forecasts, route selection, and risk-assessment decisions made prior to entering the backcountry. Officials emphasized that such reviews are standard procedure following large-scale fatal incidents and do not imply wrongdoing.
Officials Urge Extreme Caution;
With additional snowfall forecast across the Sierra Nevada and avalanche danger remaining elevated, officials are strongly urging residents and visitors to avoid backcountry travel. The Sierra Avalanche Center continues to issue warnings, noting that unstable conditions may persist for several days.
Editor’s Note:
This article was written by Jennifer Hodges, Political Editor, and will be updated as additional verified information becomes available, including the identification of victims, confirmation regarding the missing individual, and findings from the ongoing investigation. Information in this report is based on official briefings from the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office, rescue authorities, and avalanche safety agencies.
