Home Local ICE Purchases Roxbury Warehouse For Detention Facility

ICE Purchases Roxbury Warehouse For Detention Facility

0
4

DHS Says Route 46 Site Will Expand Detention Capacity, Create Jobs, & Strengthen Immigration Enforcement As Township Prepares Legal Challenge

Saturday, February 21, 2026, 4:30 P.M. ET. 5 Minute Read, By Jennifer Hodges, Political Editor & Art Fletcher, Executive Editor: Englebrook Independent News,

ROXBURY TOWNSHIP, NJ.- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), an agency within the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), has purchased a warehouse property in Roxbury Township that federal officials say will be converted into a new immigration detention facility, an acquisition that followed several days of contradictory federal statements and has now triggered sharp political and legal pushback from local leaders and New Jersey’s congressional delegation.

     Roxbury Mayor Shawn Potillo and the township council confirmed Friday that ICE “closed on” the warehouse, identified in multiple reports as a Dalfen Industrial, owned property along Route 46. Township officials said Roxbury is preparing to challenge the project in court, calling the acquisition both unexpected and inappropriate for the community.

Federal Plans For Detention Expansion;

     In a statement released through CBS New York, ICE confirmed that it “purchased a facility in Roxbury, New Jersey,” emphasizing that the site will be developed into a detention operation that meets federal detention standards and will not function as a traditional warehouse.

     According to ICE, the Roxbury facility is expected to generate approximately 1,300 jobs, contribute an estimated $161.2 million to regional gross domestic product, and produce more than $39.2 million in tax revenue. DHS cited these figures in support of the project, arguing the facility will provide both enhanced immigration enforcement capacity and measurable economic benefits to the region.

     Englebrook Independent News learned that the detention center is expected to be designed to house up to 1,500 individuals, a scale that federal officials say is necessary to address longstanding detention shortages in the Northeast.

     ICE framed the project as part of a broader national effort to expand detention space, reduce overcrowding, and accelerate the removal of individuals who are subject to deportation. The agency has consistently stated that detention capacity is essential to public safety, particularly when dealing with non-citizens who have criminal charges or prior convictions and are awaiting immigration proceedings.

Local Opposition And Infrastructure Concerns;

     Roxbury’s governing body, comprised entirely of Republican officials, responded with strong opposition. Township leaders described the purchase as “stunning” and said the warehouse is not an appropriate location for a federal detention facility.

     Local officials argued that the proposed use is “unapproved” under current zoning regulations and raised concerns about water and sewer capacity, traffic, emergency response readiness, and the strain such a facility could place on municipal services.

     The mayor and township council said they are prepared to pursue “all available legal remedies” and pledged to act “swiftly and aggressively” to block the project.

Confusion Before Confirmation;

     The announcement followed several days of uncertainty. Earlier in the week, DHS initially told reporters that ICE had purchased the property, then later suggested that the statement had been issued in error or without proper authorization. On Friday, DHS issued a renewed confirmation stating that ICE had, in fact, completed the purchase.

     Both ICE and Roxbury officials subsequently confirmed that the transaction with Dalfen Industrial had closed, ending the confusion but intensifying local backlash.

Political Reaction Across New Jersey;

     U.S. Senator Cory Booker condemned the project, stating that ICE detention facilities have “no place” in New Jersey. Representatives Frank Pallone Jr. and Rob Menendez Jr. echoed that opposition, criticizing what they characterized as inconsistent federal communication and a lack of consultation with local officials.

     Rep. Menendez Jr. announced a statewide effort to oppose the Roxbury facility, joined by Sen. Andy Kim and several House members. A congressional press release described the project as an example of federal overreach.

     At the same time, Roxbury’s Republican leadership criticized their own federal representation, saying they did not receive sufficient advocacy or advance notice from Rep. Tom Kean Jr. prior to the purchase.

Enforcement Priorities And National Context;

     ICE officials maintain that detention capacity is one of the most critical constraints on immigration enforcement. Without sufficient bed space, the agency argues, individuals who are ordered removed, or who pose public safety risks, cannot be reliably detained during immigration proceedings.

     Nationally, Reuters has reported that ICE is pursuing a significant expansion of detention facilities funded under the “One Big Beautiful Bill” enacted in July 2025. That legislation provided long-term funding for Immigration and Customs Enforcement and U.S. Customs and Border Protection through 2029, including funding for facility acquisition, renovation, and construction nationwide.

What Comes Next;

     Roxbury officials say legal action is imminent, though ICE has not publicly released a detailed construction timeline, permitting schedule, or projected operational date for the Roxbury site.

The dispute is expected to center on zoning authority, land-use approvals, environmental compliance, and infrastructure capacity, issues likely to be resolved through litigation and administrative review as the township advances its challenge.


Editor’s Note:

This article was written by Jennifer Hodges, Political Editor, and Art Fletcher, Executive Editor, and is based on publicly available statements and confirmed reporting regarding ICE’s purchase of a warehouse property in Roxbury Township, New Jersey, from Dalfen Industrial and the agency’s stated intent to convert the site into an immigration detention facility. All figures, quotations, and factual assertions were verified through reporting by CBS New York, Gothamist, the New Jersey Globe, Reuters, and official statements from DHS, ICE, and Roxbury Township officials. Englebrook Independent News will continue to monitor developments and provide updates as additional details become available.